Comic Book Shop Memories: Bristol

My series of posts about comic book shops has been limited to London, because that’s where I live and have done for quite a few years. However, I have also lived elsewhere and found places to buy comics in these cities; I thought I’d share some memories to keep up the theme.

It makes me feel old by writing this, but twenty years ago I went to the University of Bristol. I had a great time, and Bristol is a wonderful place in its own right, but it was also great in that it had a comic book shop on Park Street. Park Street is a steep road going down from the Wills Building (part of the university) before it becomes College Green towards Bristol Cathedral. Book shops, record shops, restaurants and other non-chain stores filled the street, which saw a lot of visitation from the students because it was so close, and for me because it had the comic book shop.

The comic book shop was Forever People, about halfway down on the right hand side as you walk down. It was an old-fashioned shop, nothing fancy or trendy, just a packed interior with two levels, which could be seen as you entered the store. There might have been merchandise, but I only remember the comics because (a) that’s all I was interested in and (b) I couldn’t afford anything else at the time – I was a student. I remember that it wasn’t very well lit, even though it had a big window to let in sunshine.

My memories are not as sharp as I would like – I don’t recall the layout and I don’t remember the people who worked there – but I know it existed (even if I don’t have a photo of it) and my collection shows that I was buying books from that time. A specific memory I have is of reading Peter David’s The Incredible Hulk for the first time in the shop – I think I must have read of it in the pages of Comics International; I was a big fan of Chris Claremont’s X-books at the time, so the thought of reading anything else was quite novel for me. Unfortunately, my finances wouldn’t allow me to get an extra book, so I had to wait for a while before I introduced the book to my collection and went back to get nearly the whole run. The shop never seemed to mind people reading the comics on the racks, but that could be because they were on the upper level and they couldn’t see you so easily. It was a charming old shop, the type you don’t see any more, and I was very fond of it.

The shop is no longer there – I don’t know when it closed or what happened. I recently returned to Bristol for a reunion with old university friends and got the chance to wander the streets of my college days. Although the old shop isn’t there, a comic book shop has taken its place – a Forbidden Planet which, by the look of my photo (which is not the greatest; it was very difficult to get a decent angle, and there is a bus stop right in front) and my walk through the store, is part of the Forbidden Planet franchise but does not appear on its website. It has the same layout and design, and looks exactly the same as the London shop I posted about in this post. It warmed my heart that Bristol had such a big shop (it takes up a lot of space) and in such a prominent location, at the top of The Triangle, just up from Park Street. I’m sorry that Forever People no longer exists, but I’m glad that the students of Bristol can waste their beer vouchers on comic books and related merchandise.

[Edited to amend the name of the original comic shop to ‘Forever People’, which was thanks to Simon Pegg’s Nerd Do Well – Simon went to the University of Bristol at the same time as I did, and is a huge fan of 2000 AD.]

8 Comments

• biscuitsalive 5 October 2013 at 7:54 am

Glad there are good memories of Forever People. That was my dads shop and i worked there as a lad. It certainly was full of characters and i have many memories too.

• hiab-x 2 June 2016 at 9:02 pm

I've been looking for a photo of the old shop, I don't suppose you have one in the family archives? I used to love going there.

• Darth 3 February 2018 at 10:33 pm

I loved that shop. I bought a lot of ‘Hellraiser’ merch in ‘Forever People’ and ‘Fangoria’ magazine…i miss that place.

• Anonymous 15 August 2014 at 3:59 pm

i loved this shop , and me and my friends traveled from Cardiff to spend our money on D and D stuff and figures.
    We remember a very irritable young kid working there who was just appalling to us ,, didnt want to take the games down from the wall behind the counter. we use to tease him eventually by asking for the games at the top and then figures from the from of the display counters,, he was an awful person and we had enormous fun winding him up.

• Steve Bristle 14 January 2015 at 5:15 pm

Interesting to note that there's now a company that produces roleplaying games called Forever People and the bloke who runs it grew up in Bristol in the 80s when I was in my teens. In one of his newsletters he said he loved the store and it was the inspiration for the name of his company. I remember Forever People too. I was more into the dungeons & dragons stuff than the comics. I remember they had an amazing lead miniatures display in a fish tank. It was also one of the few stores you could buy alternative culture board games. Shame its not there anymore but nice that it lives on in another way.

• Alec 9 November 2017 at 4:11 pm

Forever People was my favourite shop. Very fond memories of buying the Bolland/McMahon covered Eagle Comics Judge Dredd comics, the Gibson covered Robo Hunters and also the Titan Chronicles of Judge Dredd graphic novels, etc… from 1983 on. Complete collections of 2000ad back-issues upstairs (#1 still available for less than £20 in the late eighties). Alison Moyet singing All Cried Out over the radio in the shop in November 1984. The man at the till called me “love” which slightly disturbed me. The colourful Christmas lights (when they were still great). I believe it was at No.59 Park Street? Then Forbidden Planet opened a branch in Broadmead in the early nineties and it wasn’t long before Forever People closed and Forbidden Planet eventually moved to it’s current grander location.

• Alec 10 November 2017 at 1:23 pm

Note: There are two websites for shops called Forbidden Planet. The original one (I assume) which includes the Bristol branch is http://www.forbiddenplanet.com and the one which is different (mentioned in David’s article above) is forbidden planet international (www.forbiddenplanet.co.uk) which has different shops. I’m not actually sure which is the original but I get the impression they are separate companies.

• ALEC 19 January 2018 at 12:22 pm

Correction: I found a plastic bag from Forever People. it was at No.35 Park Street.