To celebrate 10 years of DVD, Empire is doing one of its Features: The 100 DVDs You Must Own. As I’ve been away from the blogging game for a while, there’s nothing like a list to ease oneself back into things.
Obviously, this is a list, which means that it’s wrong before you even begin, and this isn’t helped by the fact that it includes Showgirls in it, which is automatic disqualification from reality. There is also the fact that Empire tries to be everything to everyone, so there are some very strange choices thrown in to appease a diverse crowd. It’s also about the DVD itself, not just the film, which certainly explains some of the inclusions.
The list is in alphabetical order. I’ve bolded DVDs I own, and of course made the occasional comment, as is my perogative.
1. The Adventures of Robin Hood (Special Edition)
2. Alfred Hitchcock Collection
3. Alien Quadrilogy
4. Almost Famous (Untitled)
My favourite Cameron Crowe film, with some great performances from Billy Crudup, Jason Lee, Frances McDormand (naturally) and even Kate Hudson. And I don’t even like 70s rock music. Also, a great DVD.
5. Anchorman / Wake Up, Ron Burgundy
I really want this special edition, and have waited until it comes to Region 2 before picking it up. Can’t wait to have all those great comedy lines to savour over and over again.
6. Apocalypse Now (Complete Dossier)
7. Back To The Future (Collector’s Edition)
8. Batman Anthology (Region 1)
The first no-no on the list. There is no way any list apart from Worst Films of All Time can contain Batman and Robin.
9. Batman Begins
10. Ben-Hur (4-disc Special Edition)
11. Blade Runner (Final Cut: Ultimate Collector’s Edition)
12. Brazil Criterion Collection (Region 1)
Will this ever come to Region 2? I want this very much.
13. Bringing Up Baby (Special Edition) (Region 1)
14. Buffy The Vampire Slayer: The Chosen Collection (Region 1)
A partial bolding, because I only own the first three seasons; you know, when Buffy was good. Would like the complete set if only for Hush and The Body.
15. Casablanca (Special Edition)
16. Citizen Kane (Special Edition)
Yes, I like this film, and not just for film buff reasons.
17. Clerks (10th Anniversary Edition)
I love that this is next to Citizen Kane. Where else would that happen? A really, really good DVD package.
18. Close Encounters Of The Third Kind (30th Anniversary Ultimate Edition)
19. Die Hard (Special Edition)
The film that updated the action film, and still good.
20. Dr. Strangelove (Collector’s Edition)
21. Eraserhead / Short Films Of David Lynch (Region 1)
I could never, ever own this: my experience of watching Eraserhead is not a good memory.
22. E.T. – The Extra Terrestrial Ultimate Gift Box (Region 1)
23. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (Special Edition)
Love this film, and refused to get anything other than the special edition.
24. Evil Dead (Book of the Dead)
25. The Exorcist (Director’s Cut)
26. Fargo (Special Edition)
Great film, just not a very ‘special’ DVD.
27. 50 Years of Janus Films (Region 1)
What the hell???
28. Fight Club (Definitive Edition)
I’m sure it’s legally ironic to own the DVD, based on the message in the film, but it’s a great film on an amazing DVD package.
30. Gladiator (Extended Special Edition)
Partial: I only have the 2-disc at the moment. Ridley Scott does good DVD.
31. The Godfather Trilogy (Remastered)
Worth having the third film just for the commentary.
32. Goldfinger (Ultimate Edition)
33. Gone With The Wind (Collector’s Edition)
34. Goodfellas (Special Edition)
Well, obviously. Sheer perfection.
35. The Good, The Bad and The Ugly (Special Edition)
36. Grease (Special Edition)
37. The Great Escape (Definitive Edition)
No. This is a Bank Holiday Monday film and nothing else.
38. Halloween (25 Years of Terror)
39. Heat (Special Edition)
40. The Incredibles
41. The Indiana Jones Collection
42. Jaws (30th Anniversary Special Edition)
Another partial (I think I have an earlier special edition) but I don’t need another copy.
43. Jerry Maguire (Collector’s Edition)
I’m still not sure why I have this in my collection.
44. King Kong (Region 1)
45. The Laurel and Hardy Collection
46. Lawrence of Arabia
47. Looney Tunes Golden Collection Volume 1
48. The Lord Of The Rings Trilogy (Extended Version)
As if you could have any other versions.
49. M (Criterion Collection) (Region 1)
51. The Matrix (Ultimate Collection Box Set)
The first film, not the box set. The Matrix sired DVD; the sequels soiled DVD. No to the collection.
52. Memento (Special Edition)
53. Metropolis (Special Edition)
54. Modern Times
55. Monty Python and the Holy Grail (Ultimate Edition)
Life of Brian is better, but this is funnier.
56. Moulin Rouge! (Special Edition)
57. One Flew Over The Cuckoo’s Nest (Special Edition)
58. 101 Dalmatians (Platinum Edition)
59. Platoon (Definitive Edition)
60. Predator (Definitive Edition)
Even though I own this, it shouldn’t be on the list. I detect the hand of Chris Hewitt, long-time Empire chap, their funny guy in their vidblogs, but a man who loves this film too much.
61. Pulp Fiction (Special Edition)
62. Raging Bull (Definitive Edition)
63. Rocky (Definitive Edition)
64. Schindler’s List
65. The Scream Trilogy
66. Se7en (New Line Platinum Edition) (Region 1)
Another partial, because I own a loaded disc that is probably as good.
67. Seven Samurai (Criterion Collection) (Region 1)
68. Shaun of the Dead
69. The Shawshank Redemption (Special Edition)
70. Showgirls (VIP Edition) (Region 1)
71. The Silence of the Lambs (Definitive Edition)
72. The Simpsons Seasons 1-10
A partial, due to possession of earlier seasons, but I think this is pandering.
73. Sin City (Recut and Extended)
74. Singin’ In The Rain (Special Edition)
75. Some Like It Hot (Special Edition)
76. Spaced (The Complete Series) (US Edition)
I own the two original DVDs of the series but will have to get this, damn it. I lurrrve Spaced and must have this. All that time mocking you Yanks for not having access to it and now you get the better version. That’s not fair …
77. Speed (Definitive Edition)
78. Star Wars Trilogy Episodes IV, V and VI
Who doesn’t own these?
79. Strangers On A Train (Special Edition)
Why does this get a special mention when there is an Alfred Hitchcock collection?
81. Sunset Boulevard (Special Edition)
Yes, I like old films. I am sophisticated and classy.
82. Superman: Ultimate Collection (Special Edition)
83. Taxi Driver (Collector’s Edition)
I own this but don’t watch it very often. Make of that what you will.
84. Terminator (Definitive Edition)
85. The Thing
This is accumulated via my girlfriend; I must get round to listening to the notoriously entertaining commentary from Russell and Carpenter.
86. The Third Man (Special Edition)
87. Titanic (Definitive Collector’s Edition)
Dear God, please no.
88. This Is Spinal Tap (Special Edition)
89. Three Colours Trilogy
90. To Kill A Mockingbird (Special Edition) (Region 1)
I detect the choice of Reviews Editor Helen O’Hara, who I know to have a law degree.
91. Toy Story 1 & 2 (Collector’s Double Pack)
A partial because I own both films but not this version. Yet.
92. True Romance (Special Edition)
93. 2001: A Space Odyssey (Special Edition)
94. Unforgiven (Special Edition)
95. The Usual Suspects (Special Edition)
96. Walt Disney Treasures (Silly Symphonies)
97. Withnail and I (20th Anniversary Edition)
I was a student, so I am legally obliged to own this.
98. Wizard Of Oz (Collectors Edition)
99. X-Men 2 (Definitive Edition)
Why does this get singled out (brilliant as it is) when the Batman anthology gets in? Doesn’t make sense.
100. Young Frankenstein (Special Edition)
Wow. I thought I would have more. Not even 50 of them. Still, an interesting exercise nonetheless. Some very odd choices, but all part of the debate. Can anyone beat me for more DVDs owned on the list?